Outcome of Microvascular Decompression (MVD) for Trigeminal Neuralgia
Objective: To assess the outcome of patients of Trigeminal Neuralgia after Microvascular Decompression (MVD).
Design: Case Series.
Place and Duration of Study: Bolan Medical Complex Hospital, Quetta from July 2008 to July 2015.
Materials and Methods: Patients of all age group and both gender were included. Those patients were included in study that was not relieved by conservative treatment.
Results: 40 patients included in study, 30 patients were male and 10 patients were female. Male to female ratio 3:1. The majority of the patients were over 50 years of age. Duration of symptoms in all the patients was more than one year. All of patients were not responding to medical treatment (Anticonvulsant, Antispasmodic and Pain Killers) after one year treatment. All of patients were operated. Procedure was microvascular decompression. They were followed for the period of one year. Most of the patients were pain free after surgery and few patients develop minor complications.
Conclusion: Micro vascular decompression is treatment of choice in those patients who stop responding to the conservative treatment.
2. Baker FG, Jeneta PJ, Bissonetee, DJ Shield, PJ Lorkins MV, Jho HD- Mircovascular Decompression for hemi facial pain, Journal of Neurosurgery, 1995, FeB. 82 (2): 201-210.
3. Kenthey Casey MD, Benign Essential Blephrospasm Research Foundation New letter, 2006 Vol: 25 (2): 10.
4. CAmpas, Beritez MK, Kuffman AM, Neurovascular Compression finding in Trigeminal Neuralgia – J Neurosurgery, Sep 2008; 109 (3): 416-20.
5. Lunford MD Trigeminal Neuralgia Treatment by Glyceral Rhizotomy Hill book Company (USA), 1985: 2345-50.
6. EL Garem, HF Badr, EL Dine, M. Talat, AM Magnana, J-Endoscopy as a Joot of minimum invasive Trigeminal Neuralgia Surgery – Otto Neurotall. 2002; 23 (2): 132-5.
7. Shin JC, Chung UH, Kim YC, Park CI Prospective study of MVD in Trigeminal Neuralgia, Neurosurgery, 1997 April. 40 (4): 730-734.
8. Jeneta PJ, Trigeminal Neuralgia treated by Microvascular decompression in Wilkins RH and Rangacheri H.ll Blood Company (USA), 1985: 2345-50.
9. Brrogi, Ferrali at all MVD for Trigeminal Neuralgia, J Neural Neurosurgery Psychiatry, 2000; 68 (1): 59-64.
10. Payner TD, Tew JR Recurrence of Trigeminal Neuralgia after MVD, 1996 Apr: 38 (4): 686-692.
Copyright (c) 2019 Pakistan Journal Of Neurological Surgery
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.