Peripheral Neuropathy in Newly Diagnosed Cases of Type II Diabetes Mellitus
Objective: Diabetes mellitus linked to severe macrovascular and the microvescular complications. Diabetic peripheral neuropathy is the challenging complication of the diabetes mellitus, which is linked to the morbidity, mortality, and big economic burden. We determined the frequency of peripheral neuropathy in newly diagnosed cases of type II diabetes mellitus.
Materials & Methods: The current descriptive Cross Sectional study took place in Services Institute of Medical Sciences, Lahore, From June 2014 to January 2015. All the patients, those were newly diagnosed with diabetes mellitus, aged 30-60 years and both genders were included. Detailed history regarding diabetes was taken. Patients underwent for the evaluation of peripheral neuropathy by taking physical examination, previous history and vibration perception test. All the data was recorded in the Proforma.
Results: Total 150 cases were studied, out of them, 42.67% were aged 30-45 years while 57.33% were in the age range of 46-60 years and their overall mean age was 46.35 ± 9.52 years. Males were 54.0% and females were 46.0%. Frequency of peripheral neuropathy for newly diagnosed type II diabetic subjects was noted 20.67%, with insignificant association of age and gender.
Conclusion: It was concluded that the peripheral neuropathy was 20.67% among patients newly diagnosed with diabetes mellitus.
2. WHO media centre Diabetes fact sheet no 312, [online]. 2011[january2011]; Available from: URL: http//www.who.int/ entity/ mediacentre/factsheets/fs 312/en/index.html
3. Shamim AR, Haq AR, Ali MA. Prevalence of Peripheral diabetic Neuropathy and its Association with patients related factors. Pak J Med Health Sci. 2017 Jul. 1; 11: 1130-2.
4. Tesfaye S, Selvarajah D. Advances in the epidemiology, pathogenesis and management of diabetic peripheral neuropathy. Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2012; 28: 8-14.
5. Yoo M, Sharma N, Pasnoor M, Kluding PM. Painful Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: Presentations, Mechanisms, and Exercise Therapy. J Diabetes Metab.2013; S10: 005.
6. Arshad AR, Alvi KY. Diagnostic accuracy of clinical methods for detection of diabetic sensory neuropathy. Journal of the College of Physicians and Surgeons Pakistan, 2016; 26 (5): 374-9.
7. Gupta A, Gupta Y. Diabetic neuropathy: Part 1. J Pak Med Assoc. 2014; 64: 714-8.
8. Callaghan BC, Cheng HT, Stables CL, Smith AL, Feldman EL. Diabetic neuropathy: clinical manifestations and current treatments. Lancet Neurol. 2012; 11: 521-34.
9. Ali A, Iqbal F, Taj A, Iqbal Z. Prevalence of Microvascular Complications in Newly Diagnosed Patients with Type 2 Diabetes. Pak J Med Sci. 2013; 29 (4): 899–902.
10. Dutta A, Naorem S, Singh TP, Wangjam K. Prevalence of peripheral neuropathy in newly diagnosed type 2 diabetics. Int J Diab Dev Countries, 2005; 25: 30-3.
11. Gill HK, Yadav SB, Ramesh V, Bhatia E. A prospective study of prevalence and association of peripheral neuropathy in Indian patients with newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes mellitus. J Postgrad Med. 2014; 60 (3): 270-280.
12. Iftikhar M, Hussain A, Rizvi A. Frequency of peripheral neuropathy in patients with diabetes mellitus. Journal of Ayub Medical College Abbottabad, 2014; 1; 26 (4): 584-6.
13. Khawaja N, Abu-Shennar J, Saleh M, Dahbour SS, Khader YS, Ajlouni KM. The prevalence and risk factors of peripheral neuropathy among patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus; the case of Jordan. Diabetology & metabolic syndrome, 2018; 10 (1): 8.
14. Al-Geffari M. Comparison of different screening tests for diagnosis of diabetic peripheral neuropathy in Primary Health Care setting. Int J Health Sci. 2012; 6: 127–34.
15. Tabatabaei-Malazy O, Mohajeri-Tehrani MR, Madani SP, Heshmat R, Larijani B. The prevalence of diabetic peripheral neuropathy and related factors. Iran J Public Health, 2011; 40: 55–62.
16. Al-Kaabi JM, Al-Maskari F, Zoubeidi T, Abdulle A, Shah SM, Cragg P, Afandi B, Souid A. Prevalence and determinants of peripheral neuropathy in patients with type 2 diabetes attending a tertiary care center in the United Arab Emirates. J Diabetes Metab. 2014; 5: 346–53.
17. Ashok S, Ramu M, Deepa R, Mohan V. Prevalence of neuropathy in type 2 diabetic patients attending a diabetes centre in South India. JAPI. 2002; 50: 546-50.
18. Lakhiar MA, Shahbaz NN, Bughio AH, Prakash J. Frequency of peripheral neuropathy in newly diagnosed patients of diabetes mellitus iion clinical and electrophysiological basis. Pak J Neurological Sci. 2014; 4; 9; 31-35.
Copyright (c) 2019 Pakistan Journal Of Neurological Surgery
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.