Intracranial Low Grade Glioma: a Clinical Study of 35 Cases in a Teaching Institute
Objective: To determine the clinical manifestation and surgical outcome of patients with low grade Glioma.
Material and Methods: This descriptive (cross sectional) study was done at the Neurosurgery Department, Mardan Medical Complex Mardan. The study period was March 2017 to February 2018. Patient of any age and gender presented to outpatient department or referred from some other medical facility and diagnosed as low grade Glioma on clinical and radiological grounds and later confirmed by histopathology were included.
Results: Out of 35 patients, 20 (57%) were male and 15 (42%) were female. 20 to 80 years was the age range and mean age was 46.36 ± 17.11 years. Frontal lobe was the most frequent area of location, followed by parietal 9 (25%) and temporal 8 (22%) lobe. Pre-operativeKarnofsky score was 90 in 16 (45%), 80 in 8 (22%), 70 in 6 (17%) and 60 in 5 (14%) of patients. Gross total resection was achieved in 13 (37%), radical subtotal resection in 10 (28%), subtotal resection in 10 (28%) and biopsy taken in 02 (5%) patients. histopathology revealed Astrocytoma in 15 (42%), mixed Oligoastrocytoma in 12 (34%) and Oligodendroglioma in 8 (22%) number of patients. Post operatively surgical outcome was measured by improvement in symptomatology, Karnofsky score and seizure control.
Conclusion: Conscious level, Karnofsky Performance score, seizure control are important parameters for surgical outcome in patients with low grade Gliomas. Gross total resection of the tumor is a better option for good surgical outcome.
2. Wallner KE, Gonzales MF, Edwards MS, Wara WM, Sheline GE. Treatment result of juvenile pilocytic astrocytoma. J Neurosurg. 1998; 69: 171-6.
3. Youland RS, Brown PD, Giannni C et al. Adult low grade glioma: 19 year experience at a single institution. Am J Clin Oncol. 2013; 36: 612-9.
4. Ferlay J, Soerjomataram I, Dikshit R, Eser S, Mathers C, Rebelo M, et al. cancer incidence and mortality worldwide. Int J Cancer, 2015; 136: 359-86.
5. Parkin DM, Muir CS, Whelan SL, Gao YT, Ferlay J, Powell J et al. cancer incidence in 5 continents. Int Agency Res Cancer, 2002; 31 (6): 1033-9.
6. Pouratian N, Asthagiri A, Jagannathan J et al. Surgery insight: The role of surgery in the management of low grade glioma. Nat Clin Pract Neurol. 2007; 3: 628-39.
7. Pirzkall A, Nelson SJ, Mcknigt TR et al. Metabolic imaging of low grade gliomas with three-dimensional magnetic resonance spectroscopy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2002; 53: 1254-64.
8. Ricard D, Idbaih A, Ducray F et al. Primary brain tumors in adult. Lancet, 2012; 379: 1984-86.
9. Baehring JM, Bi WL, Bannykh S et al. Diffusion MRI in the early diagnosis of malignant glioma. J Neurooncol. 2007; 82: 221-5.
10. Fan GG, Deng QL, Wu ZH et al. Usefulness of diffusion-weighted MRI in patient with non-enhancing supratentorial gliomas: A valuable tool to predict tumor grading. Br J Neurooncol. 2006; 79: 652-8.
11. Andronesi OC, Kim GS, Grestmer E et al. Detection of 2-hydroxygluterate in IDH mtatedglioma present by in vivo spectral-editing and 2D correlation magnetic resonance spectroscopy. Sci Transl Med. 2012; 4: 116-4.
12. Pamir MN, Ozduman K, Vildiz E et al. intraoperative magnetic resonance spectroscopy for identification of residual tumor during low grade glioma surgery: clinical article. J Neurosurg. 2013; 118: 1191-8.
13. Peraud A, Ansari H, Bise K et al. clinical outcome of supratentorial astrocytoma WHO grade II. Acta Neurochir (Wien), 1998; 140: 1213-22.
14. Englot DJ, Han SJ, Berger MS et al. Extent of surgical resection predicts seizure freedom in low grade temporal lobe brain tumors. J Neurosurgery, 2012; 70: 921-8.
15. Sanai I, Berger MS. Glioma extent of resection and its impact on patient outcome. J Neurosurgery, 2008; 62: 753-64.
16. Shaw EG, Wang M, Coons SW et al. Randomize trial of radiation therapy plus procarbazine, lomustine and vincristine chemotherapy for supratentorial adult low grade glioma. J Clinoncol. 2012; 30: 3065-70.
17. Louis DN, Ohgaki H, Wiestler OD, et al. The 2007 WHO classification of tumours of central nervous system. Acta Neuropathol. 2007; 114: 97-109.
18. Yeh SA, Lee TC, Chen HJ et al. Treatment outcomes and prognostic factors of patients with supratentorial low grade oligodendroglioma. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2002; 54: 1405-1409.
19. Claus EB, Horlacher A, Hsu L, Schwartz RB, Dello Lacono, et al. Survival rate in patients with low grade glioma after intraoperative magnetic resonance image guidance. Cancer, 2005; 103: 1227-33.
20. Van Veelen ML, Aveezat CJ, KrosJM,VanPutten W, Vecht C. Supratentorial low-grade astrocytoma: prognostic factors, in well deferntiation, and the issue of early versus late surgery. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry, 1998; 64: 581-7.
21. Laws ER, Taylor WF, Clifton MB, Okazaki H. Neurosurgical management of low grade astrocytoma of the cerebral hemisphere J Neurosurg. 1984; 61: 665-73.
22. Leighton C, Fischer B, Banuman G, Depiero S, Stitt L, Macdonald D, et al. Supratentorial low-grade glioma in
adults: and analysis of prognostic factors and timing of radiation. J Clin Oncol. 1997; 15: 1294-301.
23. Kreth FW, Faist M, Rossner R, Volk B, Ostertag CB. Supratentorial world health organization grade 2 astrocytomas and oligoastrocytoma. A new pattern of prognostic factors. Cancer, 1997; 79: 370-9.
24. Duffau H and Capelle L. Preferntial brain locations of low-grade gliomas. Cancer,
25. Cavaliere R, Lopes MBS, Schiff D. Low-grade gliomas: and update on pathology and therapy. Lancet Neurol. 2005; 4: 760-70.
26. Chang EF, Smith JS, Chang SM, Lamboron KR, Prados MD, Butowski N et al. Preoperative prognostic classification system for hemispheric low-grade glioma in adults. J Neurosurg. 2008; 109: 817-24.
27. Everli D. Efficacy of Prognostic factors on survival in patients with low grade glioma. Turkish Neurosurg. 2008; 18: 336-44.
28. Englot DJ, Berger MS, Barbaro NM, Dario J. Predictors of seizure freedom after resection of supratentorial low-grade gliomas. J Neurosurg. 2011; 115: 240-4.
Copyright (c) 2019 Pakistan Journal Of Neurological Surgery
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.