Outcome of Anterior Cervical Discectomy with PEEK Cage Fixation for Single Level Cervical Disc Disease
Objective: To assess the outcome of anterior cervical discectomy and fusion (ACDF) with PEEK cage.
Material and Methods: This prospective study was conducted in the Departments of Neurosurgery Prime Teaching Hospital and Irfan General Hospital Peshawar. Patients undergoing one level ACDF with PEEK cage fixation were enrolled in the study. Patients who needed multiple level ACDF or corpectomy with plating and redo cases were excluded from the study. A proforma, which included age, gender, address, level of prolapsed disc, sign and symptoms, pain score, MRI findings were filled. All patients were assessed on day of discharge and on follow-up visit after one month. Data was analyzed with SPSS version 22.
Results: Total 95 patients were included out of which 58 (61%) were male and 37 (39%) were female. Range of patients` Age was from 27 years to 64 years with 50.4 years mean age. Most patients (65%) had C6 radiculopathy. 58 patients (61%) had right sided radicular pain. 5 patients (5.26%) had radiculomyelopathy.
C5 – C6 was the most common level operated (68 patients). Excellent results were achieved in 75 patients (79%) while satisfactory results in the rest of patients using Odom’s criteria. Bony fusion occurred in 92% of patients at 6 months.
Conclusion: ACDF with PEEK cage fixation is a safe and beneficial procedure in one level cervical prolapse disc disease
2. Schoenfeld AJ, George AA, Bader JO, Caram PMJ. Incidence and Epidemiology of Cervical Radiculopathy in the United States Military: 2000 to 2009. Clin Spine Surg. 2012 Feb;25(1):17.
3. Imaging of degenerative disk disease. | Radiology [Internet]. [cited 2019 Oct 11]. Available from: https://pubs.rsna.org/doi/abs/10.1148/radiology.168.1.3289089
4. Lunsford LD, Bissonette DJ, Jannetta PJ, Sheptak PE, Zorub DS. Anterior surgery for cervical disc disease: Part 1: Treatment of lateral cervical disc herniation in 253 cases. J Neurosurg. 1980 Jul 1;53(1):1–11.
5. Hauerberg J, Kosteljanetz M, Bøge-Rasmussen T, Dons K, Gideon P, Springborg JB, et al. Anterior Cervical Discectomy With or Without Fusion With Ray Titanium Cage: A Prospective Randomized Clinical Study. Spine. 2008 Mar 1;33(5):458.
6. Niu C-C, Liao J-C, Chen W-J, Chen L-H. Outcomes of Interbody Fusion Cages Used in 1 and 2-levels Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion: Titanium Cages Versus Polyetheretherketone (PEEK) Cages. Clin Spine Surg. 2010 Jul;23(5):310.
7. Niu C-C, Liao J-C, Chen W-J, Chen L-H. Outcomes of interbody fusion cages used in 1 and 2-levels anterior cervical discectomy and fusion: titanium cages versus polyetheretherketone (PEEK) cages. Clin Spine Surg. 2010;23(5):310–316.
8. Wang JC, McDonough PW, Endow KK, Delamarter RB. Increased Fusion Rates With Cervical Plating for Two-Level Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion. Spine. 2000 Jan 1;25(1):41.
9.. Bohlman HH, Emery SE, Goodfellow DB, Jones PK. Robinson anterior cervical discectomy and arthrodesis for cervical radiculopathy. Long-term follow-up of one hundred and twenty-two patients. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1993;75(9):1298–307.
10. Brodke DS, Zdeblick TA. Modified Smith-Robinson procedure for anterior cervical discectomy and fusion. Spine. 1992 Oct;17(10 Suppl):S427-30.
11. Young WF, Rosenwasser RH. An early comparative analysis of the use of fibular allograft versus autologous iliac crest graft for interbody fusion after anterior cervical discectomy. Spine. 1993 Jul;18(9):1123–4.
12. Silber JS, Anderson DG, Daffner SD, Brislin BT, Leland JM, Hilibrand AS, et al. Donor Site Morbidity After Anterior Iliac Crest Bone Harvest for Single-Level Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion. Spine. 2003 Jan 15;28(2):134.
13. Niu C-C, Liao J-C, Chen W-J, Chen L-H. Outcomes of interbody fusion cages used in 1 and 2-levels anterior cervical discectomy and fusion: titanium cages versus polyetheretherketone (PEEK) cages. Clin Spine Surg. 2010;23(5):310–316.
14. Chou Y-C, Chen D-C, Hsieh WA, Chen W-F, Yen P-S, Harnod T, et al. Efficacy of anterior cervical fusion: comparison of titanium cages, polyetheretherketone (PEEK) cages and autogenous bone grafts. J Clin Neurosci. 2008;15(11):1240–1245.
15. Kersten RFMR, van Gaalen SM, de Gast A, Öner FC. Polyetheretherketone (PEEK) cages in cervical applications: a systematic review. Spine J. 2015;15(6):1446–1460.
16. Ha S-K, Park J-Y, Kim S-H, Lim D-J, Kim S-D, Lee S-K. Radiologic assessment of subsidence in stand-alone cervical polyetheretherketone (PEEK) cage. J Korean Neurosurg Soc. 2008;44(6):370.
17. Chen Y, Wang X, Lu X, Yang L, Yang H, Yuan W, et al. Comparison of titanium and polyetheretherketone (PEEK) cages in the surgical treatment of multilevel cervical spondylotic myelopathy: a prospective, randomized, control study with over 7-year follow-up. Eur Spine J. 2013 Jul 1;22(7):1539–46.
18. Cho D-Y, Liau W-R, Lee W-Y, Liu J-T, Chiu C-L, Sheu P-C. Preliminary Experience Using a Polyetheretherketone (PEEK) Cage in the Treatment of Cervical Disc Disease. Neurosurgery. 2002 Dec 1;51(6):1343–50.
19. Cho D-Y, Lee W-Y, Sheu P-C. Treatment of multilevel cervical fusion with cages. Surg Neurol. 2004 Nov 1;62(5):378–85.
20. Use of a polymethylmethacrylate cervical cage in the treatment of single-level cervical disc disease in: Journal of Neurosurgery: Spine Volume 3 Issue 1 (2005) [Internet]. [cited 2019 Oct 16]. Available from: https://thejns.org/spine/view/journals/j-neurosurg-spine/3/1/article-p24.xml
21. Mastronardi L, Ducati A, Ferrante L. Anterior cervical fusion with polyetheretherketone (PEEK) cages in the treatment of degenerative disc disease. Preliminary observations in 36 consecutive cases with a minimum 12-month follow-up. Acta Neurochir (Wien). 2006 Mar 1;148(3):307–12.
22. Kulkarni AG, Hee HT, Wong HK. Solis cage (PEEK) for anterior cervical fusion: preliminary radiological results with emphasis on fusion and subsidence. Spine J. 2007 Mar 1;7(2):205–9.
23. Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion Associated Complicat... : Spine [Internet]. [cited 2019 Oct 16]. Available from: https://journals.lww.com/spinejournal/Abstract/2007/10010/Anterior_Cervical_Discectomy_and_Fusion_Associated.6.aspx. fountas el al.
Copyright (c) 2020 Pakistan Journal Of Neurological Surgery
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.