Nurses Practices Regarding Medication Administration through a Central Venus Catheter
Objective: The purpose of this study was to examine nurses’ practices related to medication administration through the CVC.
Material and Methods: A cross-sectional observational study was conducted at Tertiary Hospital. The study subjects were the female Nurses aged between 21 – 60 years (n = 133). A convenient sampling technique was used.Data collected through an observational checklist which contain two sections; demographic and 19 items of their practices. A pilot study was done on 20 participants to assess the reliability of the observational checklist. Data analyzed by using SPSS version 25.
Results: 82.7% participants’ ages were between 21 – 30 years, 13.5% were between 31 – 40 years and 3.8% were between 41 – 50 years. Participants’ education was as follows: general nursing diploma (84.2%), BS Nursing Post RN (registered nurse) (11.3%), BSN -Bachelor Science in Nursing (Generic) (4.5%). Only 41.4% participants performed hand hygiene before procedure and 58.6% did not perform. 34.6% participants remove gloves and perform hand hygiene; remaining 65.4% did not perform hand hygiene correctly. All participants 100% performed documentation on drug chart.
Conclusion: The significance of quality care, combined with good practices, particularly when medicines are administered through the Central Venous Catheter. Incorrect practices of medication administration through CVC increase the risk of blood stream infection. This research study shows 50% unsatisfactory practices.
2. Rodrigues J, Dias A, Oliveira G, Neves JF. Multidimensional strategy regarding the reduction of central-line associated infection in pediatric intensive care. Actamedicaportuguesa. 2016; 29 (6): 373-80.
3. Patel AR, Patel AR, Singh S, Singh S, Khawaja I. Central Line Catheters and Associated Complications: A Review. Cureus. 2019; 11 (5).
4. Wigglesworth N. Infection control 3: use of disposable gloves and aprons. Nursing Times. 2019; 115 (7): 34-6.
5. Neininger MP, Buchholz P, Frontini R, Kiess W, Siekmeyer W, Bertsche A, Siekmeyer M, Bertsche T. Incompatible intravenous drug combinations and respective physician and nurse knowledge: a study in routine paediatric intensive care. European Journal of Hospital Pharmacy, 2019; 26 (4): 214-7.
6. Huang V. Effect of a patency bundle on central venous catheter complications among hospitalized adult patients: a best practice implementation project. JBI database of systematic reviews and implementation reports, 2018; 16 (2): 565-586.
7. Denton A, Bodenham A, Conquest A, et al. Standards of Infusion Therapy. 4th ed. London: Royal College of Nursing; 2016.
8. Gibson F, Shipway L, Aldiss S, Hawkins J, King W, Parr M, Ridout D, Verity R, Taylor RM. Exploring the work of nurses who administer chemotherapy to children and young people. European Journal of Oncology Nursing, 2013; 17 (1): 59-69.
9. Gürol GA, Özden D, Alan N, Yilmaz İ, Ayik C, Göktuna G. Examination of nursing drug administration practices via central venous catheter: An observational study. The journal of vascular access, 2019.
10. Buksh NA, Ghani M, Amir S, Asmat K, Ashraf S. Assessment of Nurses’ Knowledge and Practice for Prevention of Infection in Burn Patients.
11. Tasew H, Mariye T, Teklay G. Nursing documentation practice and associated factors among nurses in public hospitals, Tigray, Ethiopia. BMC research notes, 2019; 12 (1): 612.
12. Qasmi SA, Shah SM, Wakil HY, Pirzada S. Guiding hand hygiene interventions among future healthcare workers: implications of knowledge, attitudes, and social influences. American journal of infection control, 2018; 46 (9): 1026-31.
13. Alsulami Z, Choonara I, Conroy S. Paediatric nurses’ adherence to the double‐checking process during medication administration in a children's hospital: an observational study. Journal of advanced Nursing, 2014; 70 (6): 1404-13.
14. Bártlová S, Hajduchová H, Brabcová I, Tóthová V. Patient misidentification in nursing care. Neuro
Endocrinol Lett [Internet], 2015; 36: 17-22.
15. Karttunen M, Sneck S, Jokelainen J, Elo S. Nurses’ self-assessments of adherence to guidelines on safe medication preparation and administration in long-term elderly care. Scandinavian journal of caring sciences, 2019 May 6.
16. Goossens GA. Flushing and locking of venous catheters: available evidence and evidence deficit. Nursing research and practice, 2015; 2015.
Copyright (c) 2020 Pakistan Journal Of Neurological Surgery
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.