Clinical Presentation and Surgical Outcomes of Chronic Subdural Hematoma
Objective: The aim of this study was to access clinical presentation of chronic subdural hematoma and to evaluate the surgical outcome of evacuation of chronic subdural hematoma after single burrhole craniotomy with a close drainage system under local anesthesia.
Material & Methods: A descriptive study conducted in the Neurosurgery Department of Khairpur Medical College Sindh. 30 patients of chronic subdural hematoma were included. Patients prepared for evacuation of chronic subdural hematoma through single burr hole followed by closed drainage system for two days.
Results: The most common feature was gait disturbance followed by Hemiparesis and headache. Coexisting diseases were hypertension, Diabetes mellitus and Chronic Liver Disease, etc. and causes of CSDH were head injury (trivial trauma) and anticoagulant. Surgical decisions were taken on the bases of clinical presentation and radiological findings of patients. Surgical procedure single burrhole craniotomy followed by irrigation with normal saline and close drainage system for two days. On post-operative follow-up, a recurrence of CSDH occurred in two patients.
Conclusion: Single burrhole craniotomy with close drainage system is a simple and safe procedure under local anesthesia for treatment of chronic subdural hematoma.
Keywords: CSDH (chronic subdural hematoma), GCS (Glasgow coma score), Burrhole craniotomy, Neurosurgery & Subdural drain.
2. Rashid, S. M., Deliran, S. S., Dekker, M. C. J., & Howlett, W. P. Chronic subdural hematomas: a case series from the medical ward of a north Tanzanian referral hospital. Egyptian Journal of Neurosurgery, 2019; 34 (1): 29.
3. Edlmann, E., Giorgi-Coll, S., Whitfield, P. C., Carpenter, K. L., & Hutchinson, P. J. Pathophysiology of chronic subdural haematoma: inflammation, angiogenesis and implications for pharmacotherapy. Journal of neuroinflammation, 2017; 14 (1): 1-13.
4. Yadav YR Chronic subdural. hematoma. Asian journal of neurosurgery, 2016: 330.
5. Das SS. Surgical Outcome of Chronic Subdural Haematoma: An Analysis of 300 Cases. Journal of Dhaka Medical College, 2015; 24 (2): 126-131.
6. Kolias AG. Chronic subdural haematoma: modern management and emerging therapies. Nature Reviews Neurology, 2014; 10 (10): 570-578.
7. Chen FM. Predictors of acute intracranial hemorrhage and recurrence of chronic subdural hematoma following burr hole drainage. BMC Neurology, 2020; 20 (1): 1-10.
8. Achakzai NU, Adil I, Khan S. Outcome of surgical management of chronic subdural hematoma. Pakistan Journal of Neurological Surgery, 2018; 22 (2): 61-66.
9. Asif M, Younus A. Chronic Subdural Hematoma, Review of 30 Cases Managed at DHQ Teaching Hospital, Sahiwal Medical College, Sahiwal. Pakistan Journal of Neurological Surgery, 2018; 22 (2): 67-70.
10. Yadav YR, Parihar V, Namdev H, Bajaj J. Chronic subdural hematoma. Asian Journal of Neurosurgery, 2016; 11 (4): 330.
11. SARWAR MA, Ali K, Hussain K, Shahid S, Abid M, Kazmi AR., .et al. Management and Outcome of Chronic Subdural Hematoma: A Prospective Study of Shaikh Zayed Hospital, Lahore. Pakistan Journal of Neurological Surgery, 2018; 22 (1): 24-32.
Copyright (c) 2021 Pakistan Journal Of Neurological Surgery
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.