Lumbar Spine Aneurysmal Bone Cyst
A Rare Entity
An Aneurysmal Bone Cyst (ABC) is a benign, locally aggressive, vascular, and expansile bony tumor of idiopathic etiology containing multiple thin-walled blood-filled channels, mostly diagnosed in pediatric and adolescent age groups. These lesions can cause local pain, pathological fractures, spinal deformity, and neurological deficits. The treatment of choice for ABC is highly debatable according to the literature. The treatment choices are simple curettage and grafting, complete surgical resection with or without prior selective arterial embolization, radiotherapy, or a combination of these procedures according to the case. Each modality is having different outcomes, technical requirements, and complications. We are reporting a case of Aneurysmal Bone Cyst of the lumbar spine in a young patient treated by surgery.
2. Blake MA. Imaging in oncology. Springer Verlag. (2008) ISBN:0387755861.
3. Meyers SP. MRI of bone and soft tissue tumors and tumorlike lesions, differential diagnosis and atlas. Thieme Publishing Group. (2008) ISBN:3131354216.
4. Kransdorf MJ, Sweet DE. Aneurysmal bone cyst: Concept, controversy, clinical presentation, and imaging. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1995;164:573-80.
5. Subach BR, Copay AG, Martin MM, Schuler TC, Romero-Gutierrez M. An unusual occurrence of chondromyxoid fibroma with secondary aneurysmal bone cyst in the cervical spine. (2010) The spine journal : official journal of the North American Spine Society. 10 (2): e5-9.
6. Wolfgang Dähnert. Radiology Review Manual. (2011) ISBN: 9781609139438
7. K Tomoyuki, M Susa, R Nakayama, et al. Secondary Aneurysmal Bone Cyst following Chondroblastoma of the Patella: (2013) Rare Tumors. 5 (3): e43.
8. Mankin HJ, Hornicek FJ, Ortiz-Cruz E, et al. Aneurysmal bone cyst: a review of 150 patients. J Clin Oncol 2005;23:6756–62.
9. Mehlman CT, Crawford AH, McMath JA. Pediatric vertebral and spinal cord tumors: a retrospective study of musculoskeletal aspects of presentation, treatment, and complications. Orthopedics 1999;22:49–55. discussion 55-46.
10. Chan MS, Wong YC, Yuen MK, et al. Spinal aneurysmal bone cyst causing acute cord compression without vertebral collapse: CT and MRI findings. Pediatr Radiol 2002;32:601–4.
11. Capanna R, Albisinni U, Picci P, et al. Aneurysmal bone cyst of the spine. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1985;67:527–31.
12. Boriani S, De Iure F, Campanacci L, et al. Aneurysmal bone cyst of the mobile spine: report on 41 cases. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 2001;26:27–35.
13. Liu JK, Brockmeyer DL, Dailey AT, et al. Surgical management of aneurysmal bone cysts of the spine. Neurosurg Focus 2003;15:E4.
14. Caro PA, Mandell GA, Stanton RP. Aneurysmal bone cyst of the spine in children. MRI imaging at 0.5 tesla. Pediatr Radiol 1991;21:114–6.
15. Brinker MR, Whitecloud TS 3rd, James PT, et al. Vertebral aneurysmal bone cyst. A case report and review. Orthop Rev 1991;20:42–6.
16. Boriani S, Bandiera S, Donthineni R, et al. Morbidity of en bloc resections in the spine. Eur Spine J 2010;19:231–41.
17. Sim FH, Cupps RE, Dahlin DC, et al. Postradiation sarcoma of bone. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1972;54:1479–89.
18. Mayfield JK, Riseborough EJ, Jaffe N, et al. Spinal deformity in children treated for neuroblastoma. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1981;63:183–93.
19. Mishra SS, Panigrahi S, Das D. Giant aneurysmal bone cyst of cervical spine: Surgical management and circumferential spinal fusion in a 13-year-old girl. J Pediatr Neurosci 2014;9:196–9.
20. Harrop JS, Schmidt MH, Boriani S, et al. Aggressive “benign” primary spine neoplasms: osteoblastoma, aneurysmal bone cyst, and giant cell tumor. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 2009;34(22 Suppl):S39–47.
21. Leithner, Andreas & Windhager, Reinhard & Lang, Susanna & Haas, Oskar & Kainberger, Franz & Kotz, Rainer. (1999). Aneurysmal Bone Cyst: A Population Based Epidemiologic Study and Literature Review. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. 363.
Copyright (c) 2021 Pakistan Journal Of Neurological Surgery
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.