Role of Dexamethasone in Recurrent and Residual Chronic Subdural Hematoma
Objectives: To assess the effectiveness of dexamethasone in recurrent and residual chronic subdural hematoma as a monotherapy.
Material and Methods: A prospective Quasi-Experimental study was conducted at the Neurosurgery Department, Peoples Medical College Hospital, Nawabshah from July 2014 to June 2020.Patients were assessed by Markwalder’s neurological grading and intravenous dexamethasone was used as monotherapy and effects were monitored.
Results: Out of 280 patients100 patients had recurrent and 180 patients had a residual chronic subdural hematoma. Male n = 180, female n = 100 with male to female ratio 1.8:1. Patients with Markwalder Grade 0, 1, and 2 were included and Grade 3 & 4 with marked midline shift on plain Computed tomographic scan brain were excluded. Intravenous dexamethasone of 12 mg in three divided doses for 24 hours given for first 2 weeks then shifted on oral dexamethasone and gradually tapered in next 2 weeks. During this period patient was evaluated for fluctuation in blood sugar or epigastric pain. Serial follow-up of patient was done, 16.07% improved from Markwalder Grade – 2 to 0, Markwalder Grade 1 to 0 in 12.14%. Complete resolution of hematoma occurred in 53.57%. Radiological deterioration with increased volume of hematoma in n = 40 and worsening to Markwalder Grad – 3 n = 15 and Grade – 4 n = 25. Death in n = 11.
Conclusion: Monotherapy with dexamethasone in recurrent and residual chronic Subdural Hematoma results in clinical improvement and reduces the rate of re-operation.
2. Gelabert-Gonzalez M, Iglesias-Pais M, Garcia-Allut A, Martinez-Rumbo R. Chronic subdural haematoma: surgical treatment and outcome in 1000 cases. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2005; 107 (3): 223-229.
3. Markwalder TM, Steinsiepe KF, Rohner M, et al. The course of chronic subdural haematoma after burr-hole craniostomy and closed-system drainage. J Neurosurg. 1981; 55: 390–396.
4. Steimle R, Jacquet G, Godard J, Fahrat O, Katranji H. Chronic subdural hematoma in the elderly and computerized tomography: study of 80 cases [in
French]. Chirurgie. 1990; 116 (2): 160-167.
5. Nakaguchi H, Tanishima T, Yoshimasu N. Factors in the natural history of chronic subdural hematomas that influence their postoperative recurrence. J Neurosurg. 2001; 95: 256–262,
6. Goodell CL, Mealey J. Pathogenesis of chronic subdural hematoma. Experimental studies. Arch Neurol. 1963; 8: 429–437.
7. Berghauser Pont LM, Dammers R, Schouten JW, et al. Clinical factors associated with outcome in chronic subdural hematoma: a retrospective cohort study of patients on preoperative corticosteroid therapy. Neurosurgery, 2012; 70 (4): 873–880.
8. Park KS, Park SH, Hwang SK, Kim C. Hwang JH. Correlation of the Beta-Trace Protein and Inflammatory Cytokines with Magnetic Resonance Imaging in Chronic Subdural Hematomas: A Prospective Study. J. Korean Neurosurg. 2015; 57: 235-241.
9. Hirasima Y, Endo S, Hayashi N, et al. Platelet-activating factor (PAF) and the formation of chronic subdural haematoma. Measurement of plasma PAF levels and anti-PAF immunoglobulin titers. Acta Neurochir. 1995; 137: 15–18.
10. Weigel R, Schilling L, Schmiedek P: Specific pattern of growth factor distribution in chronic subdural hematoma (CSH): evidence for an angiogenic disease. Acta Neurochir. 2001; 143: 811–819.
11. Okada Y, Akai T, Okamoto K, et al. A comparative study of the treatment of chronic subdural hematoma—burr hole drainage versus burr hole irrigation. Surg Neurol. 2002; 57: 405–410.
12. Kwon TH, Park YK, Lim DJ, et al. Chronic subdural hematoma: evaluation of the clinical significance of postoperative drainage volume. J Neurosurg. 2000; 93: 796–799.
13. Tanikawa M, Mase M, Yamada K, et al. Surgical treatment of chronic subdural hematoma based on intrahematomal membrane structure on MRI. Acta Neurochir. 2001; 143: 613–619.
14. Reinges MH, Hasselberg I, Rohde V, et al. Prospective analysis of bedside percutaneous subdural tapping for the treatment of chronic subdural haematoma in adults. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry, 2000; 69: 40–47.
15. Mebberson K, Colditz M, Marshman LAG, et al. Prospective randomized placebo-controlled double-blind clinical study of adjuvant dexamethasone with surgery for chronic subdural haematoma with post-operative subdural drainage: interim analysis. J Clin Neurosci. 2019; S0967-5868 (19): 31364-5.
16. Brennan PM, Kolias AG, Joannides AJ, et al. The management and outcome for patients with chronic subdural hematoma: a prospective, multicenter, observational cohort study in the United Kingdom. J Neurosurg, 2017: 1-7.
17. Robinson RG. Chronic subdural hematoma: surgical management in 133 patients. J Neurosurg. 1984; 61: 263–268.
18. Ambrosetto, C. Osservazioni Sul Trattamento Dell'ematoma Subdurale Cronico Post-traumatico, Sist. Nerv. 1958; 10: 435.
19. Emich S, Richling B, McCoy MR, Al-Schameri RA, Ling F, Sun L, et al. The efficacy of dexamethasone on reduction in the reoperation rate of chronic subdural hematoma–the DRESH study: straightforward study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials, 2014; 6 (15): 6.
20. Hutchinson PJ, Edlmann E, Bulters D, Zolnourian A, Holton P, et al. Trial of Dexamethasone for Chronic Subdural Hematoman. Engl J Med. 2020.
21. Prud’homme M, Mathieu F, Marcotte N, Cottin S. A pilot placebo controlled randomized trial of dexamethasone for chronic subdural hematoma. Canadian Journal of Neurological Sciences, 2016; 43 (2): 284-90.
22. Cateno Concetto Tito Petralia, Susruta Manivannan, Dmitri Shastin et al. Effect of Steroid Therapy on Risk of Subsequent Surgery for Neurologically Stable Chronic Subdural Hemorrhage—Retrospective Cohort Study and Literature Review. J Elesvier; World Neurosurg. 2020; 138: e35-e41.
23. Holl DC, Volovici V, Dirven CMF, et al. Corticosteroid treatment compared with surgery in chronic subdural hematoma: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Acta Neurochir (Wien), 2019; 161: 1231-1242.
24. Qian Z, Yang D, Sun F, Sun Z. Risk factors for recurrence of chronic subdural hematoma after burrhole surgery: potential protective role of dexamethasone. Br J Neurosurg. 2017; 31: 84-88.
Copyright (c) 2021 Pakistan Journal Of Neurological Surgery
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.