Outcome of Ventriculo-Atrial Shunt as a Third Option in the Treatment of Hydrocephalu
Objective: The purpose of this study is to describe outcome of ventriculoatrial shunt as a third option in the treatment of hydrocephalus.
Design: Descriptive case series study.
Place and Duration of Study: Neurosurgery department Peoples University of Medical and Health Sciences Nawabshah, from January 2013 to December 2015.
Materials and Methods: This study was conducted on patients who have already attempted for VP shunt and ETV and both have failed. Under radiological guidance distal end of catheter was placed in right atrium at D6 level. Jugular vein was cannulated via common facial vein or direct puncture.
Results: Over a period of 3 years, 24 patients were operated for VA shunt. There were 16 (66.66%) males and 8 (33.33%) females. Male to female ratio was 2:1. Age groups included 2 years to 18 years (mean 9.17 median 8 SD +/- 5.55). Mostly left side was used and common facial venesection was preferred to direct puncture of jugular vein. One patient developed shunt nephritis which was managed with Vancomycin.
Conclusion: VA shunt can be used as third option in the treatment of hydrocephalus taking great care of its complications.
Abbreviations: ETV: Endoscopic Third Ventriculostomy. VCS: Ventriculocisternostomy. CSF: Cerebral Scleral Fluid.
2. Ali M, Usman M, Khan Z, Khan KM, Hussain R, Khanzada K. Endoscopic third ventriculostomy for obstructive hydrocephalus. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak 2013; 23 (5): 338-41.
3. Brohi SR, Brohi AR, Sidiqui MA, Mughal SA, Saeed S. Outcome of endoscopic third ventriculostomy in hydrocephalus. J Surg Pak Jan – Mar 2010; 15 (1): 25-8.
4. Moses ZB, Ozpinar A, Abd-El-Barr MM, Quinonez LG, Emani SM, Goumnerova LC. Direct heart shunt placement for CSF diversion: technical note. J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2016 Dec; 25 (6): 663-66.
5. Liu A, Sankey EW, Jusué-Torres I, Patel MA, Elder BD, Goodwin CR, et al. Clinical outcomes after ventriculoatrial shunting for idiopathic normal pressure hydrocephalus. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2016; 143: 34-8.
6. Akhtar N, Khan AZ, Yousaf M. Experience and outcome of ventricular-atrial shunt: a multi centre study. J Ayub Med Coll Abottabad, 2015; 27 (4): 817-20.
7. Craven C, Asif H, Farrukh A, Somavilla F, Toma AK, Watkins L. Case series of ventriculopleural shunts in adults: a single-center experience. J Neurosurg. 2017; 126 (6): 2010-16.
8. Beach C, Manthey DE. Tension hydrothorax due to ventriculopleural shunting. J Emerg Med. 1998; 16: 33–36.
9. Oliveira MF, Teixeira MJ, Reis RC, Petitto CE, Gomes Pinto FC. Failed Ventriculoperitoneal Shunt: Is Retrograde Ventriculosinus Shunt a Reliable Option? World Neurosurg. 2016; 92: 445-53.
10. Morota N, Ihara S, Araki T. Torkildsen shunt: re-evaluation of the historical procedure. Childs Nerv Syst. 2010; 26 (12): 1705-10.
11. Rivero – Garvía M, Pancucci G, Morcillo J, Millán A, Márquez – Rivas J. Ventriculobiliary Shunts, Another Option. Pediatr Neurosurg. 2015; 50 (3): 152-6.
12. Konar SK, Maiti TK, Bir SC, Kalakoti P, Nanda A. Robert H. Pudenz (1911 – 1998) and Ventriculoatrial Shunt: Historical Perspective. World Neurosurg. 2015; 84 (5): 1437-40.
13. Nulsen FE, Spitz EB. Treatment of hydrocephalus by direct shunt from ventricle to jugular vein. Surg Forum, 1951: 399–403.
14. Pudenz RH, Russell FE, Hurd AH, Shelden CH. Ventriculo-auriculostomy; a technique for shunting cerebrospinal fluid into the right auricle; preliminary report. J Neurosurg. 1957; 14: 171-79.
15. JM, Prakash UB. Development of pulmonary hypertension after placement of a ventriculoatrial shunt. Mayo Clin Proc. 1993; 68: 1177–82.
16. Al-Schameri AR, Hamed J, Baltsavias G, Winkler P, Machegger L, Richling B, et al. Ventriculoatrial Shunts in Adults, Incidence of Infection, and Significant Risk Factors: A Single – Center Experience. World Neurosurg. 2016; 94: 345-51.
17. Hung CC, Chuang HY, Lin HL, Chu YT, Cheng CH. Intramuscular Migration of Venous Catheter as a Rare Complication of Ventriculoatrial Shunt: Case Report and Literature Review. J Neurol Surg A Cent Eur Neurosurg. 2017; 78 (4): 412-16.
18. Al-Natour MS, Entezami P, Nazzal MM, Casabianca AB, Assaly R, Riley K, et al. Superior vena cava syndrome with retropharyngeal edema as a complication of ventriculoatrial shunt. Clin Case Rep. 2015; 3 (10): 777-80.
19. Farach SM, Danielson PD, Chandler NM. Diagnostic laparoscopy for intra-abdominal evaluation and ventriculoperitoneal shunt placement in children: a means to avoid ventriculoatrial shunting. Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A. 2015; 25 (2): 151-4.
20. Matushita H, Cardeal D, Pinto FC, Plese JP, de Miranda JS. The ventriculoomental bursa shunt. Childs Nerv Syst. 2008; 24: 949–53.
21. Pasqualin A, Mazza C, Da Pian R. Results of treatment with ventriculoatrial and ventriculoperitoneal shunt in Infantile nontumoral hydrocephalus. Childs Brain, 1980; 7: 1–12.
22. Clark DJ, Chakraborty A, Roebuck DJ, Thompson DN. Ultrasound guided placement of the distal catheter in paediatric ventriculoatrial shunts – an appraisal of efficacy and complications. Childs Nerv Syst. 2016; 32 (7): 1219-25.
23. Hung AL, Vivas-Buitrago T, Adam A, Lu J, Robison J, Elder BD, et al. Ventriculoatrial versus ventriculoperitoneal shunt complications in idiopathic normal pressure hydrocephalus. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2017; 157: 1-6.
24. David J. Clark, Aabir Chakraborty, Derek J. Roebuck, Dominic N. P. Thompson. Ultrasound guided placement of the distal catheter in paediatric ventriculoatrial shunts — an appraisal of efficacy and complications. Childs Nerv Syst. 2016; 32: 1219–25.
25. Limanówka B, Sagan L, Janik S, Rzewuska B, Kojder. Distal ventriculoatrial shunt catheter implantation under fluoroscopy guidance through the left internal jugular vein as a rescue technique - a case report. Pomeranian J Life Sci. 2015; 61 (1): 48-50.
26. Dhanyee AS, Singh G, Manayalil BP. Revision of ventriculoatrial Shunt with transesophageal echocardiogram guidance. J Neurosurg Anesthesiol. 2015; 27 (4): 358-9
Copyright (c) 2018 Pakistan Journal Of Neurological Surgery
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.