Knowledge Regarding Common Risk Factors of Oral Cancer at Liaquat University Hospital Hyderabad
Background: Oral cancer is one of the most life-threatening condition in world early diagnosis of oral cancer can increase the chances of survival rates. The present study was carried out to see the knowledge of common risk factor of oral cancer among adult patients visiting Liaquat university hospital Hyderabad.
Objective: The aim of this study was to assess knowledge and awareness of common risk factors of oral cancer among population of Hyderabad City.
Material and Methods: Self administered proforma containing 10 questions were distributed into 150 patients age group 18 to 25 years to obtain the information. The question included the information about patient’s age, gender, habits and risk factor of oral cancer.
Result: A total 150 patients participated in this study out of which male were 110 and female were 40. This study showed adult populations of Hyderabad have good knowledge regarding risk factor of oral cancer.
Conclusion: Despite of having good knowledge regarding risk factors of oral cancer, a big amount of adult population is used to it. Government should take steps in order to ban these harmful products in the region where they are extensively used.
2. Devadiga A, Prasad KV. Awareness of oral cancer and precancer among patients attending a hospital in Sri Lanka. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2010; 11: 58-61.
3. Monteiro LS, Salazar F, Pacheco J, Warnakulasuriya S. Oral cancer awareness and knowledge in the city ofvalongo, portugal. Int J Dent. 2012; 8.
4. Center for disease control, “Risk factor for Oral Can-cer,” http:// www.
5. L.A.G. Ries, M.P. Eisner, C.L. Kosary et al., SEER Cancer Statistics Review, 1975 – 2002, National Can-cer Institute, Bethseda, Md, USA, 2005.
6. Jemel A,Thomas A, MurrayT, Thum M. Cancer statis-tics, 2002. CA Cancer J Clin. 2002; 52: 23-47.
7. Room R, Babor T, Rehm J. Alcohol and public health. Lancet, 2005; 365: 519-30.
8. Vora AR, Yeoman CM, Hayter JP. Alcohol, tobacco, and pan use understanding of oral cancer risk among Asian males in Leicester. Br Dent J. 2010; 188: 444-51.
9. Pett Si, Scully C. Oral cancer knowledge and aware-ness: primary and secondary effects of an information leaflet. Oral Oncol. 2007; 43: 408-15.
10. Patton LL, Elter, JR, Southerland JH, Strauss RP. Kno-wledge of oral cancer risk factors and diagnostics con-cepts among North Carolina dentists. Implications for diagnosis and refferal. J Am Dent Assoc. 2005; 136: 576-78.
11. Khalili M, Aghababaei H, Hosseinzadehi A. Know-ledge, attitude and practice of general physicians in relation with oral malignancies. J Qazvin Univer Med Sci. 2009; 32: 67-73.
12. Pakfetrat A, FalakiP F, Esmaily H.O. et al.” Oral cancer knowledge among patients referred to Mashhad Dental School Iran”. Archives of Iranian Medicine, 2010; 13 (6) 6: 543-48.
Copyright (c) 2018 Pakistan Journal Of Neurological Surgery
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.