Chronic Subdural Hematoma, Review of 30 Cases Managed at DHQ Teaching Hospital, Sahiwal Medical College, Sahiwal
Chronic subdural hematoma (CSDH) most commonly occurs in elderly patients. Our aim was to examine the incidence, clinical presentation, causes (pathology), mode of surgical treatment and final results in patients with chronic subdural hematoma were identified. The chances of chronic subdural hematoma were always more in old age patients. Head trauma i.e. fall & road side accident was the cause in 76.66% and etiology was not known in 23.33% of patients. The common clinical presentation was headache, vomiting, altered conscious level (60%) and neurological deficits (50%). All the patients (100%) were operated while one patient died after surgery.
2. Maurice Williams RS Kitchen ND. The scope of neuro-surgery for elderly people. Age and Ageing, September, 1993; 22 (5): 337-42.
3. Senturk S, Guzel A, Bilici A, Takmz I, Guzel E, Aluclu MU, et al, CT and MR imaging of chronic subdural heamatomas: a comparative study. Swiss medical wee-kly, 2010; 140 (23-24): 335-40.
4. US senses bureau. Population profile of the United Sta-tes, International Date base.
http:/cens.gov/ipc/www/idb/index/php (Accessed 7 and 9 November 2010.
5. Beachli H, Nordmann A, Bucher HC, Gratzl O. Demo-graphics and prevalent risk factors of chronic subdural haematioma: result of a large single-center cohort stu-dy. Neurosurgical Review, 2004; 27: 263-6.
6. Khadka NK, Sharma GR, Roka YB, Kumar P, Bista P, Adhikari D, et at. Single burr hole drainage for charonic subdural haematoma. Nepal Medical Journal, 2008; 10 (4): 254-7.
7. Han H-J, Park C-W, Kim E-Y, Yoo C-J, KimY-B, et al. One vs. two burr holecraniostomy in surgical treatment of chronic subdural hematoma. Journal of the Korean Neurosurgical Society. August, 2009; 46: 87-92.
8. Kansal R, Nadharni T, Goel A, Single versus double burr bole drainage of chronic subdural heamatomas, a study of 267 cases. Journal of clinical Neuroscience. April, 2001; 17 (4): 428-9.
9. Mori K, Maeda M. Surgical treatment of chronic sub-dural hematoma in 500 consecutive cases: Clinical Cha-racteristics, Surgical outcome complications and recur-rence rate, Nurologia Medico Chirurgia, 2001; 41: 371-81.
10. Miranda LB, Braxton E, Hobbs J, Quigly MR. Chronic Subdural hematioma in the elderly: not a benign dise-ase. Journal of Neurosurgery. January, 2011; 114: 72-6.
11. Sambasivan M. An overview of chronic subdural hema-toma: experience with 2300 cases. Surgical Neurology, 1997; 47: 418-22.
12. Weigel R, Schmiedek P, Krauss JK. Outcome of con-temporary surgery for chronic subdural hematoma: evi-dence-based review, Journal of Neurology, Neurosur-gery and psychiatry, 2003; 74: 937-43.
13. White M, Mathieson CS, Campbell E, Lindsay KW, Murry L. Treatment of Subdural hematomas-A retro-spective comparison of mini craniotomy versus burr-hole drainage, British Journal of Neurosurgery. June, 2010; 24 (3): 257-60.
14. Apfelbaum RI, Schulman K, Experimental production of subdural hematoma. J Neurosurg. 1974; 40: 336-46.
15. Asgher M, Adhiyaman V, Greenway M W,Bhomik BK, Bates A. Chronic subdural hematoma in the elderly_a North Wales experience. J R Soc Med. 2002; 95: 290-2.
16. Camerron MM, chronic subdural hematoma, a review of 114 cases. J Nerol Neurosurg Psychiatry, 1987, 41: 834-9.
17. Fogelholm R, Heiskanan o, Waltimo o, Chronic subdu-ral hematoma in adults: influence of patients age on symptoms, signs, ad thickness of haematoma. J Neuro-surg. 1975; 42: 43-6.
18. Gelabert-Gonzalez M, Lopez gerica E, Chronic sub-dural hematoma treated by burr holes and closed drai-nage system:a review of 630 cases. Med principles pract. 2001; 107: 41-7.
19. Gelabert-Gonzalez M, lglesias-pais M, Garcia-Allut A, Martinez-Rumbo R. Chronic subdural hematoma: sur-gical treatment and outcome in 1000 cases. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2005; 10: 41-7.
20. Hamilton MG, Frizle JB, Tranmer BI, Chronic subdural hematoma: the role of craniotomy revaluated. Neuro-surgery, 1993; 33: 67-72.
21. Jhones S, Kaftez K.A prospective study of chronic sub-dural hematoma, Neurosurgical ageing, 1999; 28: 519-21.
22. Kotwica Z, Brezezinski J: Clinical pattern of chronic subdural hematoma. Neurochirugia. 1991; 34: 148-50.
23. Mckiosk W, Richardson A, Bloom WH, Subdural hem-atoma: a review of 389 case. Lancent, 1960; 1: 1360-5.
24. Misra M, Salazar JL, Bloom Dm, Subdural peritoneal shunt: treatment for bilateral chronic subdural hema-toma. Surgical neural, 1996; 46: 378-83.
25. Rozzele CJ, Wofford JL, Branch CL. Predictions of hospital mortality in older patients with subdural hema-toma. J Am Gariatr Soc. 1995; 43: 240-4.
26. H I Seceret. Al. Chronic subdural hematoma treated by two burr-holecraniostomy and closed-system drainage in elderly patients’ Nervous Sys Surgery, 2008; 1 (4): 220-228.
Copyright (c) 2018 Pakistan Journal Of Neurological Surgery
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.