Recurrent Cervical Neurofibrosarcoma: A Rare Case of Malignant Peripheral Nerve Sheath Tumor of Head and Neck Region
Neurofibrosarcoma is a malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumor (MPNST). The cervical location of the neurofibrosarcoma is very rare and is less than 1% in the literature. MPNSTs are often associated with neurofibromatosis type 1 (NF1). We are presenting a case report of 31 years old female, with huge recurrent cervical neurofibrosarcoma on the right side of the neck. To date, surgical excision followed by chemotherapy and radiotherapy is the treatment of choice which requires a multidisciplinary approach. We excised the above-mentioned cervical neurofibrosarcoma in a piecemeal fashion and discharged the patient on follow-up with the oncology department.
2. Verma RK, Gautam V, Bahl A, Bal A. Malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumor of the parapharyngeal space arising from cervical sympathetic chain: A rare entity. Journal of Cancer
Research and Therapeutics, 2020; 16 (3): 630.
3. Tekaya R, Hamdi W, Azzouz D, Bouaziz M, Jaafoura MH, Ladeb MF, Kchir MM. Névralgiecervicobrachialerévélatrice d’un neurofibrosarcome (MPNST) cervical. Revue Neurologique. 2008; 164 (1): 82-6.
4. Daley T, Darling M. Tumeursmalignes de la cavitébuccaleautres que les carcinomesspinocellulaires: un aperçu. J Can Dent Assoc. 2003; 69 (9): 577-82.
5. Bailet JW, Abemayor E, Andrews JC, Rowland JP, Fu YS, Dawson DE. Malignant nerve sheath tumors of the head and neck: a combined experience from two university hospitals. The Laryngoscope, 1991; 101 (10): 1044-9.
6. Meany H, Widemann BC, Ratner N. Malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumors: prognostic and diagnostic markers and therapeutic targets. In Neurofibromatosis Type 1. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, 2012: 445-467.
7. Eisele DW, Richmon JD. Contemporary evaluation and management of parapharyngeal space neoplasms. The Journal of Laryngology & Otology, 2013; 127 (6): 550-5.
8. Hutcherson RW, Jenkins HA, Canalis RF, Handler SD, Eichel BS. Neurogenic sarcoma of the head and neck. Archives of Otolaryngology, 1979; 105 (5): 267-70.
9. Ferner, Rosalie E., and David H. Gutmann. International consensus statement on malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumors in neurofibromatosis 1, 2002; 1573-1577.
Copyright (c) 2022 Pakistan Journal Of Neurological Surgery
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.